Sunday, March 4, 2007

Heroes

Heroes, what is a Hero to me? Well a Hero to me is someone I admire, respect and believe their actions are worthy of being noted. Who are my heroes? Well I am a sports fanatic but with very few exceptions there aren't many heroes in sports. I will include a link about one hero at the end of this post you can read about him and enjoy his story too.

My Heroes, first obviously my Father, he prepared me for life like many fathers do not these days. Second my wife, yes my wife, why? She serves in the US armed forces, for over 10 years now. See she wanted and had planned to serve before we met, I told her at the time that if she ever wanted to serve to tell me and we would work through it. Almost 2-3 years into our marriage she said she still wanted to. I said "I hate my job and I don't like the city we live in so let's do it." So she enlisted and for over 10 years I have followed her across the USA as she serves this country, so she is my hero before 9-11 and after she never falters in her job or belief in what she does.

Who are my other Heroes? Those that server honorably with her. The men and women of the US Armed Services, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Army, and Coast Guard. Yes I know the Coast Guard is under Homeland Security now but they protect our shores and get little glory, they fight drug dealers, rescue sailors and others in trouble and are there when called upon like during hurricane Katrina. These are my heroes, my friends and neighbors. Jeff my brother in law here in ND, Glenn here in ND, Dan in Korea, Kelly at Altus, Al in Germany, Tommy in Texas, and many many more. Those who do not deal with military families everyday do not understand the workload these people work under. Yeah if lucky they get all the federal holidays off. But most people do not know how long these people work everyday at their jobs. Many work 10 hours most days then there are exercises which means 13 hour days for 1-2 weeks at a time including weekends. And guess what? No overtime, little if any comp time they just go and work and keep the peace and fight in wars and die without thought from many Americans and others throughout the world who are free today because of the sacrifice of all those who serve. These people take on year long tours away from families and friends and 3-4 month temporary duty assignments away from families to serve and maintain the always ready status of our military. Kelly just finished a year away from his family, and Dan is serving one now. Imagine that being half a world away from your wife or husband and kids for a year. Do you know how much a child can change in a year? Can you fathom that? But they do it does it bother them, I am sure it does but they don't quit and the families make do without that loved one until they return. So on top of the military members I will include their spouses, and especially the kids because think about the sacrifice they make being without mom or dad or both for a year. I know one family the father was in Korea for a year then the wife got orders to serve in Afghanistan the tours over lapped, another family took in the children for 2 months until the father got home. And it was more than a year because the mother had to go for extra training before being deployed for the year so it was more along the lines of 14 months away from the family. Think about that when you sip your coffee today.

These are my Heroes always have been always will be. If you see a service member thank them buy them a latte or soda because the pay ain't that great trust me. They just trudge on day after day and stand guard on our shores, land and overseas so that we can sleep at night and send our kids to school and watch our Super Bowls. Don't be surprised if they refuse the latte or soda but insist anyway they are a PROUD bunch!

Here is the link about a Hero enjoy it and let it warm your heart:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,256521,00.html

So this post is dedicated to those who serve, especially my wife this one is for you. Love you.

That's My2Cents

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awsome blog! Kudos to you and your support! Thank you.